Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Squat Toilet ("Squatty Potty" on "Shark Tank")

Want to "POOP BETTER"? The squat position helps me get GOing more easily and finish more completely. A recent episode of Shark Tank (ABC TV) featured a squat toilet product you may purchase at the Squatty Potty website - or you may use my alternative solution inspired by that product (see images below).
I got the black folding step-stool at my local Walmart. It is about 12 inches high. They have smaller ones available in different colors. Images above: 1) Folding step-stool in position. 2) Folded and tucked away, only two inches thick. 3) Unfold the stool. 4) Stool in position with one leg lifted, 5) Both legs up and ready to GO (of course, remember to pull your pants down :^).

The images below, from the official Squatty Potty website, illustrate why a squat toilet works so well.
Your dog and all humans -until relatively recently- naturally squat to fully relax their puborectalis muscles and thereby POOP BETTER. It is amazing to me that the modern toilet allows only partial relaxation of the muscle that prevents you from pooping freely. Despite my positive experiences with the squat position while pooping in the woods, and with squat toilets in Egypt and on other foreign travels, I never thought to try to approximate that position at home. Now that I've adopted the squat position, I cannot GO back :^)

BETTER POOPING TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD LIFE!

Ira Glickstein

2 comments:

Dave said...

Gross, but interesting.

I hope you don't mind, I reproduced your excellent graph from 2013 re Hansen 1988 (with link to your piece at WUWT).

Might we hope to see an update in 2015? Scenario A isn't getting any better! :)

http://classicalvalues.com/2014/12/getting-skeptical-about-the-claims-made-by-skepticalscience-about-skeptics/

(Sorry, this was the only place I could find to contact you.)

Anonymous said...

So ridiculous. Just bend over slightly while taking a dump. Problem solved.