Saturday, July 21, 2007

LINKS TO TEN MOST RECENT COMMENTS !!!

It took lots of research, but I finally got something working to make recent Comments easier to keep up with.

Look in the right-hand column, after the "Blog Archives" box that lists the main Topics for the current month and you will see the "Ten Most Recent Comments" box that provides the first part of the text, and the date, of the most recently published Comments!

If you click on the blue hypertext, the page for the Topic will appear and you can scroll down to read the remaining text of the Comment and see it in the context of previous and subsequent Comments.

I would have liked it better if the info in the box included the name of the Commenter and the name of the Topic, but that was not available to me at the website where I got the Javascript.

IN THE FUTURE, IF YOU PUT YOUR NAME FIRST IN YOUR COMMENT TEXT ALONG WITH THE TOPIC TITLE, THAT IS WHAT WILL APPEAR IN THE "COMMENTS" BOX.

Sample Comment text:

From: Ira, Re: Links to Ten ... This is a sample Comment to test the new feature I recently added to the Blog.
...
(I posted the first Comment to this Topic thread to show you how to do that. My Comment did not appear right away in the box as I expected it to. There is a delay, but the Comment apeared less than a half-hour later. It appears RSS feeds update at about that rate.)

If anyone has a better way to do this, please send an email to me at ira@techie.com and I will be happy to improve this new linking feature.

Ira Glickstein

1 comment:

Ira Glickstein said...

From: Ira, Re: Links to Ten... This is an example of how I'd like you to start your Comments so they are easier to follow when they appear in the new "Ten Most Recent Comments" box in the right-hand column.

You could use your entire Display name or shorten it as I have in this example.

You could use the entire Title of the Topic thread or shorten it to the first dozen or so characters as I have in this example.

You are not *required* to do this with your Comments. This is only a suggestion.

Ira Glickstein