Friday, March 18, 2011

Nuke Tsunami Makes Clean Coal Look Better


I've just published this over at Watts Up With That?

The recent Japanese earthquake and tsunami, which shut down several reactors at the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex in northeastern Japan, followed by a failure of the backup cooling systems that resulted in hydrogen gas explosions and fires, has me re-evaluating my support for nuclear power.

Don’t get me wrong, I still favor nuclear power as part of what Sen. John McCain called an “all of the above” energy policy. We need all the energy we can get to power a vibrant, growing world economy. Our energy future should include nuclear along with clean coal, gas, oil, and renewables, as well as improved energy efficiency and usage. I welcomed the recent resurgence in interest in building more nuclear power plants in the US, a policy supported by both Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama. Obama re-iterated that support a day ago.

Read the rest HERE and please comment here or go over there to join what will soon be many dozens of commenters and hundreds of page viewers. (Click here to see all my Watts Up Topics).

Ira Glickstein

No comments: